Saturday, January 2, 2021

Breaking the ice

In my original plans, I wanted to take a ride on the very first day of the year. Alas, in the moment of picking my bike out of the cellar, I discovered having a flat tyre, punched by one of those minuscule stones which are spread over the roads in this season of the year, to prevent dangerous slips. I have my reasons to doubt about the usefulness of such initiative on bicycle lanes, but I just can't complain. So I spent the sunny morning of the first day of this year down in the cellar, doing maintenance to my gears.

This morning, albeit the sky was not promising anything good, I decided to go. I put on my scuba-like cycling suit, enough reflective clothing, double thermal socks and went off to get frozen.

It is a pleasant suffering. Climbing along a country road that goes up between two fields of snow, in total silence and the very smell of the snow repay any pain inflicted by the cold.

No comments: