Saturday, December 5, 2020

In the hunters' lair

The week that's ending today has been very busy and full of events. At work, the group I'm managing passed an important project milestone with just one week of delay, compared to the date planned six months ago. Very remarkable! Something that I did not wait to comment in public as a source of pride for them and myself.

On the other hand, this has also been the week with the so-called "worse managers' day": the day when all managers are put together are called to rate the performance of their team-members (though I prefer saying "mates") and decide who to appraise and who ... not to. A real fight, whose consequences will last for the entire coming year. A good reason to reserve moments for a break and do some stress-down activities, like sport. Great and simple! Well ... actually not.

Given the humid weather, the shortness of daylight and a temperature constantly below zero, cycling has become almost prohibitive. Hence, I planned to start the winter season with a little jogging. But after my very first night run on the river banks, nearby my office, I had to re-frame my ambitions. Six thousands kilometres of road on the saddle didn't prevent a hamstring strain, causing me so much pain, to the point of barely being able to walk.

So, I redirected my attention to hiking and started taking long walks on the hillside around my working site during lunch breaks.

No comments: